Brakes San Antonio: The Do’s and Don’ts
As important as it is to ensure your vehicle can accelerate and get you where you are going, it is more important to your safety to be able to stop. Your vehicle’s braking system is crucial to allowing you to stop to avoid accidents and injuries, making it a top priority when it comes to vehicle maintenance and care. At Bring Your Own Parts, we are your brake experts in San Antonio, and we want you to know the most important aspects of brake care and maintenance. Here are the top do’s and don’ts when it comes to brake care.
The Do’s of Brake Care
Your brake system on your vehicle needs regular maintenance to keep it in excellent working order. This means adhering to your regular scheduled maintenance recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer and keeping an eye out for problems. Here are a few things you should be doing to maintain your brake system.
- Check the brake fluid once a week. As part of your regular car maintenance, check the level of your brake fluid once a week, topping it off to the fill level if needed.
- Schedule annual inspections for your entire brake system. Your brake system needs to be inspected at least once a year, more often if you are a high mileage driver. This will include having your brake pads, caliper, fluid and rotators checked for wear.
- Replace brakes parts and fluid as needed. Make sure to stay on top of replacing brake components as needed, including brake fluid replacement every 1-2 years.
The Don’ts of Brake Care
Sometimes it is what you don’t do that can have the biggest impact on your vehicle’s brake system. Knowing what to look for when it comes to brake problems is just as important as following the regular maintenance. When it comes to your brakes, don’t ignore the following signs for your own safety:
- Grinding or squealing when applying the brakes
- Your car pulling to one side
- Your brake’s grabbing suddenly when gently applying the brakes
- Your steering wheel shaking when driving or the pedal vibrating
- Leaking brake fluid
These are all signs that your brakes need service, regardless of whether you have had regular maintenance. The last thing you want is to experience brake failure that can lead to a dangerous accident, damaging your vehicle and putting you and others at risk of injury. The biggest ‘don’t’ is ignoring any signs that your brakes may need service or repair!
At Bring Your Own Parts, we service and replace all types of vehicle brake systems using high quality parts, right here in San Antonio. We often have same day appointments available to get your vehicle in right away when you are experiencing brake issues or just need regular maintenance. Whenever possible, we offer lifetime warrantied replacement parts to ensure you only need to replace these items once on your car or truck. Give us a call the next time you need quality brake care in San Antonio.