10 Things You Didn’t Know About the San Antonio
Hands Free Law
On November 6, 2014 San Antonio passed the hands free ordinance.
1) It’s already illegal to use your hand held device in San Antonio! Under the old law, the problem was enforceability, as it allowed drivers to make and accept calls, allowing drivers to say to San Antonio police officers, “No, officer, I wasn’t texting, I was making a call”.¹
2) It won’t be enforced until FEB 1st! The San Antonio hands free ordinance doesn’t go into effect until January 1st, however there will be a 30-day grace period where San Antonio police officers will only hand out warnings.
3) UTSA campus police officers can give you a hands free ordinance ticket…as well as any campus or school district officer that is “duly authorized to issue traffic citations by the city of San Antonio” ²
4) What about Google Maps?? Under San Antonio’s hands free ordinance, you may use your phone as a navigation device IF it is affixed to your vehicle.
5) “Keep ‘em on the wheel, San Antonio” is the name of the media campaign that will be launched by the San Antonio Police Department, to inform the public of the new hands free ordinance.
6) Siri is your new bae (Before Anybody Else). After the thirty day grace period, San Antonio police officers can give you a fine of up to $200 if they catch you on your phone!
7) Doesn’t matter if you’re at a stop sign, stuck in traffic or at a stoplight, you can still get a fine for using your phone.
8) San Antonio school zones were already protected by the previous hands free law, but now those same restrictions are city-wide.∗
9) Pull OVER! If you are legally parked, you may use your hand held device.
10) 10-4 you’re clear! Ham radio operators will not be affected by the ordinance. Truckers rejoice.